Date rollup is a rule whereby the project start and due (end) dates are calculated automatically from those of its activities, similar to the project progress. Accordingly, disabling date rollup allows you to manually set the project dates and be sure that a change in activity dates will not affect them.
A typical use case is when you set a project's due date as a fixed deadline. With date rollup enabled, you would have to make sure that no activity has a due date extending over the deadline. Moreover, there would have to be at least one activity on the project with an end date that perfectly match the said date. The benefit of the approach is that whilst formally the project's end date is a deadline you still can have some 'follow-up' activity extending over it, i.e. their end dates lie past the project deadline on the timeline.
In the picture below, the project—named Project Rollup—has 4 activities, one parent and three subtasks. As can be seen, date rollup is disabled as no activity's start or end dates are aligned with that of the project. In other words, no activity is used to calculate the project dates.
Enabled Date Rollup Calculation Rules
When date rollup is enabled the following rules apply:
- Project (or parent activity) start and end dates are calculated based on activity (sub-activity) dates: the earliest date defines project (parent activity) Start Date, and the latest defines End Date;
- Editing project (parent activity) duration (if there are activities (sub-activities) with set dates) is impossible;
- Editing the project (parent activity) Start Date or End Date moves the project (parent activity) and all its activities the same number of days back or forward on the timeline. E.g., if you change the project start date from Jun 10 to Jun 13, 2022 (Fri to Mon), start dates of all tasks will be moved 1 working day forward.
- If an activity has no children, changing the start date will move it, while changing the end date will change its duration (and vice versa).
- A dependency “locks” the appropriate date of the parent activity so its children activities will define only its duration and the other date (start or end date, respectively). E.g., a finish-to-start dependency will lock the start date of the activity.
Disabled Date Rollup Calculation Rules
When date rollup is disabled the following rules apply:
- Project (parent activity) dates do not depend on the activity (sub-activity) dates: the activity can end later than the project, and start earlier.
- Editing the project (parent activity) duration is allowed even if there are activities (sub-activities) with set dates.
- Editing the project (parent activity) Start Date moves the project (parent activity) and all activities the same number of days back or forward on the timeline. E.g., if you change the project start date from Jun 10 to Jun 13 (Fri to Mon), the start dates of all its activities will be shifted 1 working day forward.
- Editing the project (parent activity) End Date recalculates its duration, and vice versa, no matter if there are activities with set dates or not.
- If there is a dependency the appropriate (start or end) date is determined by it.
Date Rollup: Global and Selective
As you may need to disable date rollup for select projects only, Easy Projects offers it both as a global and project setting. As to date rollup as a global setting, bear in mind that once enabled it will affect subsequent projects only, not the existing ones. In many cases you will want to use selective, or project-level, date rollup only.
Disabling/Enabling Date Rollup Globally
By default, date rollup is enabled for your whole account. To disable date rollup as a global setting:
- Click through Login picture > Account Setting > Advanced Settings tab.
- Toggle the Dates rollup slider to OFF.
To enable the feature, repeat the above procedure but toggle the slider to ON.
Disabling/Enabling Project-Level Date Rollup
To disable date rollup for a single project use the following procedure:
- Go to Activity Center.
- Hover over the project's name.
- Click the project's Details button ().
- Click the More Actions menu in the project details.
- Select Disable dates rollup.
To enable date rollup for a single project, repeat the above procedure but click Enable dates rollup.