For activity messageboard mentions, please refer to Mentioning users on activity messageboards: @mention.
Project messageboard mentions work in a similar way except it lacks the follower functionality. The essence of the feature is that as you type in the message box a "@" character (preceded by a space or being the first character of a line) a list of available users will pop up for you to select from. To narrow the list proceed to type any letter or sequential letters occurring in the name of the user you want to mention. As you select the user on the list, a tag, e.g. , is inserted. The process of inserting such a tag is called mentioning. Then you can proceed to finish your message. When you hit Post, the user (mentionee) is notified about a message added.
There are a few important points to know about the @mention feature:
- The user is notified only once regardless of how many tags mention him in the same message.
- The @ character should be the first on the line or there should be a space before @ for the functionality to work, e.g. if you type an email address the @ character will not be recognized as a @mention one.
In a project message, you can mention any user available in the system with the following exceptions:
- "Cannot login" users,
- Guest users, or
- Inactive users.
Mentioning a user
Use the steps below to mention a user on an activity messageboard.
- Type a @ character (as the first character of the message).
- If the list is short, select the user by clicking it (for mouse users), or move up or down the list with the Up or Down arrow keys and press Tab (for keyboard users). If the list is long, proceed to type the first or any sequential letters in the name, only matching users remaining on the list as a result.
- Proceed to finish the message.
- Click Post () (for mouse users) or press Ctrl+Enter (for keyboard users).
Outgoing message grace period
Message notifications are sent 2 minutes after being added. If the message is edited during this grace period, the mentionee will receive one notification about the updated message 2 minutes after the last correction. If the message is edited within more than 2 minutes after adding – they will receive an additional notification about the updated message (however, the notification will be about an added message, not edited message).