You should exercise caution while editing rate cards. You should be aware that a wrong step may ruin your billing. So, please check out the following rules of thumb:
- Take care when editing the current version of the card – consider duplicating the card. The thing is any change made to the rates in the curent version will reflect immediately on how your yet unbilled work hours are calculated and, consequently, your billing.
- Duplicate a card when in doubt.
For editing card versions, see Rate card versioning.
The good news is that Easy Projects will warn you every time there is a risk of your being on the verge of making a dramatic change which may affect your billing. We recommend that you pay attention to those warnings and take your action with caution.
Editing a card NOT in use
To edit a card marked not in use as being used in none of the projects:
- Go to Rate Cards (User Menu > Company Settings > Rate Cards).
- Hover the mouse over the card you want to edit.
- Click the "More actions" () at the right end of the row.
- Select Edit.
- Make changes to the card as required.
- Click "Save".
Editing cards in use
When editing rate cards which are used in projects you should exercise caution to avoid wrong steps which may result in recalculating of loads of financial data. The golden rule is: when in doubt, duplicate the card. You can always delete an unwanted card but it is much harder to correct an error caused by applying the wrong rate.
Let's consider two cases of duplicating a card on the card editor screen.
1) More actions menu
To duplicate the card using the more actions menu:
- Open the card.
- Click the More actions button () next to the currency unit selector.
- A duplicate card will be created as a copy of the card being edited with an automatically generated name.
2) Duplicating a card used in two or more projects
Whenever appropriate, Easy Projects will warn you against possible wrong steps. In particular, when editing a card used in two or more projects, you will receive warnings and prompts suggesting that you should consider duplicating the card being edited to avoid the changes to affect all the projects it is used in. See the illustration below.
Editing rate cards of a project
To edit a card:
- Go to Financials (Project details > button)
- Click "Open rate card".
- Edit the card as required.
- To add, edit or delete a version of the card, see Rate card versioning.
- If the card is used in two or more projects, click "Duplicate and apply to current project" to apply the changes to the current project only. Click "Save for all projects" if you want to aplly the changes to all the projects where the card is used.