Resource requests in Planning is a powerful functionality designed to streamline and enhance the resource management process for project teams. This feature empowers users to efficiently request and allocate resources for their projects, promoting collaboration between project managers and resource managers.
Enable resource requests
To begin using resource requests in Planning, first, enable them in Company settings:
- Go to Company settings > Account settings > Advanced settings.
- Find the "Resource management settings" section.
- Turn the "Enable resource approval" toggle on.
Once the toggle is enabled, it is saved automatically. You can now navigate to Resources > Planning to create resource requests.
Any user with access to Planning, indicated by having the "Access resource planning" permission checked, can create resource requests for any user in the system.
However, only individuals with the "Manage hard allocations" permission + Non-project member - Members & assigness - View and manage - enabled can serve as approvers. Only these users can approve or reject any resource requests.
To create a resource request for any user, follow these steps:
- Navigate to Resources > Planning.
- Add the user requiring approval to a project.
- Initiate the allocation creation process (refer to Planning - managing allocations for more details).
- In the "Add allocation" pop-up, specify the Approver for your request.
- After choosing an approver and saving the allocation, the request is created, and the approver will receive an email notification.
You can also edit allocations later by modifying dates, allocation percentage, total allocated hours, and the approver.
Resource requests can exist in three statuses:
- Waiting for approval - applies to soft allocations awaiting approval after the allocation is created and the approver is specified.
- Approved - assigned to requests after the approver approves the allocation. The "Approved" status is displayed only for hard allocations.
- Rejected - is given to allocations that have been rejected by the approver. The "Rejected" status is displayed only for soft allocations.
Request approval or rejection
To approve or reject a resource request, the user-approver can navigate to Resources > Planning and open the allocation with the "Waiting for approval" status. Alternatively, they can access the allocation through the received email notification.
When a request is rejected, the allocation is displayed as a soft allocation.
Upon approval, the allocation transitions to a hard allocation.
The user-requester receives an email notification once their request is approved or rejected.