Resource Planning is a tab of the Resource Management module that allows project managers and resource managers to allocate resources across multiple projects (ongoing and planned ones). By default, Resource Planning screen displays resources grouped by projects, where the user can change the grouping in the Group by view (grouping by job role, by resource will be available in later releases).
Notes on permissions
Planning Tab Overview
The Planning tab consists of three main components:
- Columns, such as Projects and Resources, Skills, etc. including custom project fields;
- Gantt-like field with a daily, weekly and monthly granularity;
- Toolbar with date range and granularity selector, filters and controls, such as the show/hide scheduled hours toggle, the column selector.
Gantt area legend:
The default columns enabled in Resource Planning are:
- Name (displays the project name and resource name (named or unnamed))
- Project Status (displays the status of the project)
- Roles (displays the job role of the resource)
- Skills (displays the selected skills of the resource (named or unnamed))
- Scheduled Hours (the Hours Left value taken from all the tasks assigned to the resource and spread over a time period)
- Allocated Hours (the hours specified in the resource allocation at the project level for the resource (named /unnamed))
Projects and resources
The main points pertaining to the usability and functionality of the column Projects and resources are discussed below:
- Projects are collapsed by default. The user can expand any project to see a list of resources (named and unnamed ones) assigned to it.
- All values in the grid are read-only, i.e. not editable.
- Users can add more columns using the Columns button in the toolbar.
- The columns can be resized and frozen.
- By expanding the project (using the Expand button () next to the name, a list of resources assigned to the project (i.e. project team members, both named and unnamed) can be accessed with the avatar, resource name, job role, and skills (if added) displayed.
- By using the Expand all / Collapse all buttons ( /) in the heading row, all projects can expanded/collapsed.
Showing/Hiding a Column
Any column, save for Projects and Resources, can be hidden.
To show/hide a column:
- Click Columns.
- Scroll the list to locate the column you wish to show/hide.
- Set its toggle to ON or OFF to show or hide the column, respectively.
Using the Filters
You can filter the list in the Projects and Resources column. Some filters have been added by default, such as Project Status, others can be added. You can also cancel all applied filters by a single step. See below for details.
To apply a value of an existing filter:
- Click Filters.
- Expand the required filter on the list, e.g. Project Status.
- Select the checkbox corresponding to a filter value, e.g. Open.
- The filter will apply automatically.
To add a filter:
- Click Filters.
- Click Add filter ().
- Scroll the list that opens to locate the required filter.
- Set its toggle to ON.
To cancel active filters:
- Click Filters.
- To cancel all active filters: click Cancel filters () at the top of the filters panel.
- To cancel an active filter: click Cancel filters () opposite to the respective filter.
Show Scheduled Hours
Scheduled hours are the total of hours left assigned to the resource in activities with at least start or end date set. Only for such activities their hours left can be linked to the timeline and shown in the Gantt area of the Resource Planning screen.
To display scheduled hours:
- Click Show in the toolbar.
- Select Scheduled hours.