Report Generator is a versatile tool to produce custom reports.
Creating a custom report
Take these steps to create a custom report:
- Click "Create new report".
- Give a name to the report.
- To start adding fields to your report, first choose the data source from the 'Generate report from' drop-down list. Think of a data source as a pool of interlinked data fields. For example, the 'All Activities (hierarchical)' data source offers a full assortment of activity- and project-related fields and allows producing reports with a hierarchical view of activities.
- Select report type: Table, Bar Chart, Pie Chart, or Metric.
- Select page orientation: Portrait or Landscape.
- To have the report displayed on Dashboard, select 'Make available on Dashboard'. For more details, see Publish reports to Dashboard below.
- In the Key Information section, click 'Add field' to start adding fields to the report from a drop-down menu. If you add a field in error, click 'X' on the rightmost end of the row to exclude it.
For the Table report type only: Select a value in the 'Filter' selector (default option: None): None, Prompt for a single value, or Prompt for value range.
Select other options: Group, Hide, or Sum (for metric values). These options allow you to group items by certain fields, hide fields used as filters, or calculate totals of metric items. Set the appropriate column size: Auto, Small, Medium, or Large.
- For Bar Chart or Pie Chart: Select an option in the 'Axis' selector (default option: None): None, Value, Category. Place the mouse pointer on the info button () for a second to display a pop-up help screen, as shown below.
Select an option in the 'Function' selector (enabled when Value is selected in the 'Axis' selector). Available options: Sum, Max, Min, Avg, Count.
Select a value in the 'Filter' selector (default option: None): None, Prompt for a single value, or Prompt for value range.
Click 'Save' to save the report. Or,
Click 'Save & Run' to save and run the report.
Duplicating custom reports
To duplicate a report:
- Click the pencil icon by the the report you want to copy/duplicate.
- Click the 'Copy' button at the bottom of the report edit panel in the right-hand half of the screen.
- A copy of the report will appear on the left side of the custom report page with the word "Copy" appended to the original name
- You can rename the copy by clicking the pencil icon next to it and editing the name in the report name box at the top of the report edit panel. Complete the renaming process by clicking the 'Save' button.
Drag and Drop
You can use drag and drop to arrange the sequence the fields are ordered. To do that, place the mouse pointer on the 'handle' of a row (thick dotted vertical bar on the left end of the row), take hold of it by keeping the left mouse button pressed, then drag it to a new position on the list, and, finally, drop it there by releasing the button. It is shown in the illustration:
Exporting a report to selected format
As soon as a report is generated, you can export it to Excel or PDF.
To export a report:
- Open the drop-down list which reads 'Export to the selected format' on the panel above the generated report.
- Select the format you want to save the report in.
- Click the 'Export' button next to the list that becomes active.
- The report will be downloaded into your default downloads folder.
Printing a report
To print out a report:
- Click the Preview button to preview the report as it is printed.
- Click Print to open the print screen.
- Set printing options and click 'Print'.
- The report will be printed to the selected printer.
Publishing reports on Dashboard
f you select the 'Make available on Dashboard' checkbox (see above) before saving a report, it will be available for anyone to choose from the “Available Widgets” dialog on the Dashboard page, as shown in the illustration.