To create an activity using the context menu, follow this procedure:
- Log in as a user with permission to add activities of the required type (Task, Issue or Request). See above, too. If you are logged in already, skip this step.
- From the Projects & Tasks menu, select Activity Center.
- Use procedure described here.
- Once you saved the activity you can supply extra details as follows.
- Locate the activity on the list in Activity Center and click its name. This will open the Activity details section.
- With the activity created, you can supply any extra details on the activity details section.
- Alternatively, use the attribute buttons to add details to the activity. Use the use case below:
— Click the 'strong box' button (). Edit the budget and click 'Save' when you are done.
2. To add estimated hours:
— Click the Actual & Estimated Hours button (). Type in the required amount for estimated hours, and click 'Save'.
3. To add a description to the project:
— Position the mouse pointer over the name of the activity until three buttons pop up to the right of it. Click the description button (). While typing a description for the activity, you may use some editing tools, such as font change, font color, indenting, justification, etc., including hyperlinks.
— Click 'Save' when you are finished.
- If there are custom fields, fill in these, too. How to add or modify custom fields, see here.
- If the activity you are adding is dependent on another one, such as in the case when it starts as soon as the other one is completed, you can set a dependency rule between these. More information about how to set dependency between two or more activities, see Activity dependency.
- Regarding billing, you have four options to select from:
- Select Project billing settings to use billing settings of the project.
- Select Not billable, if the activity is not to be billed.
- Select Hourly rate, and type a value in the box, if the activity is billed using an hourly rate, or
- Select Fixed cost, and type a value in the box if the activity is billed as a lump-sum amount.
Adding an activity to an existing project
Project Add Task ('+') button
You can also add an activity to a project or a sub-activity to an activity, etc.:
- Click '+' next to project name.
- Proceed as described above.
Alternative methods of adding an activity
Pop-up add task/sub-task buttons
- Move the mouse pointer left and right on the LEFT of the thick vertical border line at the name of the activity below which you wish to add an activity until a green '+' button appears.
- There are one or two positions of the '+' button: immediately left of the name of the activity (1 - see illustration below), and the other one (2), if the activity is a sub-activity – at the level of the top level activity.
- Clicking the former will add an activity of the same level, clicking the latter – a top level activity.
Activity Add Sub-task ('+') button
You can quickly add a sub-activity to an activity:
- Place the mouse pointer on a gray '+' button left of the name of the activity. Click as it turn green.
- Type the name of the sub-activity, and press Enter.
Once the activity has been created you can modify its details as required on its Task Details page or via controls available in the Activity Center (see the use case above).
Attaching files to the activity
- You can check if there are any attached files to the activity and how many, using the attachments attribute button (). The number indicates the number of attached files.
- To prepare a file for attaching, click "Choose file", find the file you want to attach, select it and click "Open".
- To prepare another file, click 'Add', and repeat step 11.
- When all the files you want attached are prepared, click 'Attach file(s)'.