When you select activity assignees, Easy Projects automatically distributes the hours left for the activity among all the assignees. Each assignee is thus given their personal hours left (PHL). The parameter is used in resource loading calculations. For more details on the resource loading calculation algorithm, see here.
However, there are times when you need to distribute PHL manually, or simply make some adjustments to the automatic distribution. For such cases, a special resource loading control is available as described below.
To access the resource loading of an activity in Activity Center, take these steps:
- In Activity Center, locate the activity you wish to edit.
- Click the Assignees button ( or an avatar).
- Click the clockface button (): This will expand the Assignments panel to show resource loading.
- Edit the personal estimated hours left field for each assignee as appropriate.
- Click 'Save' when done.
Activity Details Section
To edit the resource loading of activity assignees, follow these steps:
- In Activity details section, go to the Assignees section.
- Click the '+' button.
- Click the clockface button: This will expand the Assignments panel to show resource loading.
- Edit the estimated hours field for each assignee as appropriate.
- Click 'Save' when done.
The hours available to an activity assignee as shown on the Assignments panel (Available column) are calculated based on the user's personal schedule (refer to Creating users in this online help), the duration of the activity and the estimated hours. If the user has an overload the available hours are shown as zero.
Personal schedule & Resource loading
When a personal vacation falls between the start and end date of an activity, it has consequences for your work load.
Easy Projects will subtract the off hours according to your personal schedule from your total available hours.
Examples below discuss additional details.
With such baseline conditions, the users' work load while working on the task will be as follows:
Fred—available hours: 40, personal estimated hours: 30, personal loading: 6 hours/day Mon to Fri
Mike—available hours: 40, personal estimated hours: 30, personal loading: 6 hours/day Mon to Fri
Case 2. Fred has been allowed 2 paid days off on Wednesday and Thursday in the middle of the task. As a result the work load picture will become as follows:
Fred—available hours: 24, personal estimated hours: 30, personal loading: 10 hours/day Mon, Tue, Fri (overloading)
Mike—available hours: 40, personal estimated hours: 30, personal loading: 6 hours/day Mon to Fri.
You can view the work load status by generating a resources report with the 'Resource Loading Report' radio button selected, as shown in the picture below where:
- Red squares denote work days with overloading (over 100% work hour allocation). The number of hours allocated for the day are indicated (10 in this case).
- Black squares mark days off, in this case Regular vacation type (see Vacation Calendar for details)
- Green squares mark 'normal' work days with 50 to 79.99% allocation. The number of hours allocated for the day are indicated (6 in this case).