Duplication is one of the batch operations available for activities.
NB: Since this operation can generate potentially a great many changes in your system of projects and activities resulting in a massive influx of incoming letters, the notificationsare automatically disabled during the duplication of activities.
NB: As an option, you can choose that assignees are copied to the resulting activity(ies), too.
To perform activity copying, follow these steps:
- Go to Activity Center.
- Select the activities to be duplicated.
- Click 'Duplicate' (see illustration below).
- Select the target project(s).
- Select additional options:
- or copying to a single project only: if you want a sub-activity from the source project to become a top level activity in the target one, i. e. not a sub-activity to any activity, select Create as top-level activity.
- If you want the target activities to have the same assignees as the original ones, select Copy activity assignees.
- If you want the target activities to have the same start date as the source ones, leave the Change activity start date to today option unchecked.
- Clear the Don't send notifications checkbox if you want the recipients of email notifications to be notified of this event.
- Click Apply
NB: A project can have its own activities copied to it.
NB: Successful duplication returns a message: # activities have been duplicated.
Preserving activity hierarchy during duplication
If you wish to keep the hierarchy existing between activities being copied you must make sure that both sub-activity and parent activity are selected. This is best illustrated in the example below:
There is Project 1 with Task 1 with a sub-activity, Subtask 1, which in turn has a sub-activity, Sub-subtask 1. There is also Project 2 to which copying is being done.
If you select Task 1 and Sub-subtask 1 without selecting Subtask1, which parent activity for Sub-subtask 1, copying will result in Task 1 and Sub-subtask 1 becoming top level activities in Project 2.
However, if you select Subtask as well, the result will be the preserved hierarchy of the tasks copied.