A portfolio is a group of projects grouped for some reason. It can be projects implemented for one and the same customer, or projects that are in fact the components of a larger project.
Portfolio management is a standard activity in mid-size or enterprise-level companies, where projects can be so numerous that there is a need to group them for ease of handling.
Portfolios are useful when you wish to group some of your projects by department (e.g. Production, Marketing, Accounting, etc.) or by business objectives (e.g. Increased Income by 25%, Improve Negative Churn, etc.)
Below are some of the benefits you can get from using portfolios:
- Overall project health in the portfolio is easy to view;
- Better control over resources, budget and costs;
- Simpler permission management (a portfolio manager can supervise all projects in a portfolio without being assigned to every project in it).
The Portfolios screen (User Menu | Company Settings | Portfolios) consists of the following main elements:
- Add portfolio button ().
- Text search bar. This can be used for quickly finding/filtering the portfolios. When the bar is blank, no filter applies.
- Grid with columns being the portfolio name, description and custom fields available. The grid is configurable: you can select which columns with respective data to hide. The grid customization is done via the Customize button () above the grid on the right.
- List of available portfolios with clickable portfolio names matching the filter set (in the text search bar). Clicking a name opens the portfolio details panel on the right-hand side of the screen.
- Statuses tab. This is where you manage portfolio statuses. See the relevant section below.
Portfolio details open on the portfolio details panel that rolls out the right-hand side of the screen as you click a portfolio name. The portfolio details consist of the following fields/sections:
- Properties section featuring the following controls and fields:
|Use this to select the status of the portfolio.||See Status types to learn more.|
|Opens a menu of additional options.||Currently, the only additional option is Delete. Use it to delete the portfolio. NB: deleting a portfolio does not delete the projects in it, but simply unassigns them from the portfolio.|
|Use this to close the details panel.|
|Name||The field contains the name of the portfolio.||The name can be edited by a portfolio member with the Editor role. See Portfolio member permissions to learn more.|
|Description||The field contains the description of the portfolio.||Can be edited by a member with Editor role.|
|Custom fields||This section contains all available portfolio custom fields.||See Portfolio custom fields to learn more.|
|Portfolio members||The section contains a list of portfolio members. See below.||Can be edited by a member with the Manager and Editor role.|
If you have an appropriate role (Viewer, Editor or Manager) you can view the members of the portfolio. Two roles (Editor and Manager) can edit the members.
To add a member:
- Click '+' button.
- Select a member (members) from Teams (if available) or Non portfolio members. If you made a mistake, simply click on a member again.
- Click Save to confirm your choice.
To edit a member (see Portfolio member permissions for who can edit members):
- Place the mouse pointer over the member you want to edit.
- Click the edit button () that pops up on the right of the highlighted row.
- In the permissions editor that opens, select a new role for the member (See Portfolio member permissions for available options).
- Click Save to confirm your choice.
You can add custom statuses for your portfolios, edit and delete existing ones.
To access portfolio statuses:
- Open the Portfolios screen (User Menu | Company Settings | Portfolios).
- Click Statuses tab.
To add a status:
- Click +New Status.
- Type a name for the status being added.
- Press Enter.
To edit a status:
- Click the row of the status you want to edit.
- Edit the name as inline editing activates.
- Press Enter to save the changes.
To delete a status:
- Click the delete button () on the row of the status you want to delete.
- Confirm the deletion.