To access financial information, you must have the 'Access billing information' global permission in your role.
To be able to add expenses, you must have Log Expenses in your project role.
To add an expense to a project or activity:
- Hover over the project name and click the Details button ().
- Click to access the financial options.
- To start entering an expense, click the empty box beneath Actual Expenses, on the Expenses tab.
- Specify the date, description and amount of the expense as an entry form appears.
- Select the 'Billed' or 'Billable' checkboxes or both, as appropriate.
- Fill in the custom field(s), if any. Refer to Custom Fields (for expenses).
- The expense is saved as soon as you click elsewhere on the page.
Both positive and negative amounts for expenses are supported.
Expense custom fields
You can set up custom fields for expenses as you do for activities, customers or projects. It gives you a widest range of possibilities, such as tagging your expenses with any description or reference you like. Some ideas as to what you could do with expense custom fields are given in the Use Case box
Some expense custom field use cases:
- Track expenses by Category: travel, materials, consulting, etc.
- Add mark up or tax info
- Include invoice information such as number and date
- Link an expense to an activity in Easy Projects by adding the Task ID
- And so much more...
Planned vs Actual Expenses
You can add both planned and actual expenses. The main differences is the planned expenses are added to the project estimated costs, whereas the actual ones are part of its internal cost.
Converting planned expense to actual
To quickly convert a planned expense item over into actual:
- Hover the pointer over the planned expense item you want converted.
- Click the gray check mark (✔) as it appears left of the expense item.