To create a new customer, follow this procedure:
- Log in to the system as a user who has permission to manage customers. For details on users’ roles and permissions see Roles and Permissions. If you are already logged in, skip this step.
- Mouse over Tools on the header menu. It will open a drop-down menu. Select ManageCustomers.
- In the Customers screen, click on the "Create new customer" button. The Customer Details dialog box will pop up. Fill in all the fields required.
- Fill out custom fields, if any. For more details, see Custom fields.
- To proceed, you have a number of options:
- Clicking the "Save and Close" button saves the customer details to the database, and closes the dialog box.
- Clicking the "Save" button allows saving the current customer’s details to the database while remaining in the editing mode. It is a good idea to save your data regularly to protect yourself from the unexpected, like power failure. Making any further changes in customer detail fields and clicking the "Save" button will result in database fields for this customer having been updated. For example, if you spotted a misspelled letter in the customer’s name, corrected it and then clicked "Save", the result of this would be the customer name’s corrected in the database.
- Clicking the "Cancel" button closes the customer details without any of the data you may have entered added to the database.
- Clicking the "Delete" button allows you to delete the entire record of the customer from the database. You will get a warning message that deleting will result in the loss of all customer-related information.
- To create another customer, go to Step 3 above.
The Enabled box is checked by default. Unchecking the box will render the customer in question disabled. From now on it will be shown in customer lists in red print. Disabling a customer, like when you have completed all projects for that particular company, has the benefit of still having it on your customer database, so that you can always re-assign them the enabled status as and when need be.
You can be creating as many new customers as you wish in parallel. All you will need for this is to know how to switch between open windows in the browser. This is done either by holding down Alt while pressing Tab as many times as required, or by selecting the required window on the taskbar.
Billing hourly rate
The billing hourly rate of a customer is used with the 'Customer hourly rate' in project billing settings.
For more about project billing settings, see Project details.