Birdview offers the flexibility to store custom fields for managing data related to your current projects. In Company settings you'll find a range of custom field types designed to seamlessly integrate with your day-to-day tasks, allowing you to store and monitor various information alongside your regular work.
You can create custom fields for projects, activities, customers, users, portfolios, expenses and time entries. It is also possible to limit a custom field visibility by portfolios.
To view the comprehensive list of available custom fields in your account, navigate to the User menu > Company settings > Custom fields.
The Visibility column informs you where a particular custom field is being used.
(where is this field visible?)
|The custom field is visible in entities belonging in selected portfolios. See Limiting by portfolio below.
|Portfolio name • Without portfolio
|The custom field is visible in entities belonging in selected portfolios and entities without a portfolio.
|The custom field is visible in entities without a portfolio.
|The custom field has no visibility restrictions.
|The field is not visible anywhere.
You have the option to filter and choose which types of custom fields to display in the list:
- Click .
- Select which custom field types to display.
You can collapse or expand custom field lists for each type, ensuring a clean and uncluttered screen.
For example, to collapse project custom fields:
- Locate the list of project custom fields.
- Click on the left of the title of the list (Project fields | X fields).
Adding custom fields
To add a new custom field, follow these steps:
- Navigate to User menu > Company settings > Custom fields.
- Click .
- As the custom field details panel opens on the right side of the screen, in the Field for field, select for what the custom field is created.
- Type a name for a custom field.
- Select its type (check the Custom field types article for more details).
- Check the box if the field is required.
- Select Limit by portfolio to make the field available only within a given portfolio(s):
- Check "Also show it for projects not included in portfolios" to include the field in projects without a portfolio,
- Select a portfolio to include the field in, and click "Include",
- Select as many portfolios as it is needed.
- Click Save to add a new custom field.
Limiting by portfolio
You can limit custom fields by portfolio(s). At times, you may prefer custom fields to be visible only for projects associated with specific portfolios. To do it, follow these steps:
- In the details of a custom field, check the "Show this field only for projects included in selected portfolios" checkbox.
- Click the field beneath the checkbox and select one or more portfolios.
- If required, select "Also show it for projects not included in portfolios".
Reordering custom fields
To rearrange the display order of custom fields within the selected entity, hover over the field you wish to move until the drag icon appears.
Custom fields can be updated through batch operations. To mark fields as optional or required, follow the steps outlined below:
- Click the batch operations icon in the Custom fields list.
- Select the checkboxes of the fields to be modified.
- Click the required batch operation button above.